Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelce appears to have made a decision about whether or not he’s retiring from the NFL, telling podcast host Pat McAfee he’s returning for another season.
During “The Pat McAfee Show” on Thursday, the host said he had been hearing reports about Kelce possibly sticking around for a 13th season and decided to message his sources, which turned out to be the Super Bowl-winning tight end himself.
McAfee said his text from sources read, “I’m coming back for sure. Gonna try and get to the best shape I’ve been this offseason.”
I reached out to source(s) on the future of @tkelce..
Source(s) said I’M COMING BACK FOR SURE..
I’m gonna get in the best shape of my life this offseason..
I’ve got a real bad taste in my mouth with how I played in that last game and I can’t go out like that!!!! #PMSLive pic.twitter.com/HqfpdqEjqa
— Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) February 27, 2025
“And get back to the mountaintop,” the host added. “Got a real bad taste in my mouth with how I played in that last game and how I got the guys ready for battle. I can’t go out like that!”
The host noted that the text ended in multiple exclamation points making it clear Kelce is coming back to play another year with Chiefs.
Talk of retirement really took off following the Chiefs’ failure to secure a three-peat Super Bowl victory against the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LIX.
Following the Super Bowl loss, Chiefs star QB Patrick Mahomes seemed to be unsure if Kelce would be back.
Mahomes said he would “let Travis make that decision on his own. He’s given so much to this team and to the NFL. And he’s been such a joy, not only for me to work with, but for people to watch.”
During the NFL Combines this week, Kansas City Chiefs GM Brett Veach talked about Kelce’s future.
“We anticipate Travis being back,” Veach said. “We’re excited to have Travis back and that’s how we’re operating this offseason.”
“He [Kelce] was battling with a pretty big illness there before the Super Bowl,” he added. “I think Travis is excited to come back. He makes us better when he’s in our locker room and on the field and excited to get him back.”
Kelce goes into the 2025 season at 35-years-old. His stats for his career prove he will definitely be in the football Hall of Fame one day, leading the pack of tight ends with a recorded 1,004 receptions for 12,151 yards with 77 touchdowns over 12 seasons playing in 175 career regular-season games, NBCSports noted.
The Chiefs tight end’s postseason record is just as impressive with 20 touchdowns in 25 games and 178 career receptions for 2,078 yards.
Related: ‘Tough Reality’: Travis Kelce Reflects On NFL Future Following Devastating Super Bowl Loss
[#item_full_content]
[[{“value”:”
Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelce appears to have made a decision about whether or not he’s retiring from the NFL, telling podcast host Pat McAfee he’s returning for another season.
During “The Pat McAfee Show” on Thursday, the host said he had been hearing reports about Kelce possibly sticking around for a 13th season and decided to message his sources, which turned out to be the Super Bowl-winning tight end himself.
McAfee said his text from sources read, “I’m coming back for sure. Gonna try and get to the best shape I’ve been this offseason.”
I reached out to source(s) on the future of @tkelce..
Source(s) said I’M COMING BACK FOR SURE..
I’m gonna get in the best shape of my life this offseason..
I’ve got a real bad taste in my mouth with how I played in that last game and I can’t go out like that!!!! #PMSLive pic.twitter.com/HqfpdqEjqa
— Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) February 27, 2025
“And get back to the mountaintop,” the host added. “Got a real bad taste in my mouth with how I played in that last game and how I got the guys ready for battle. I can’t go out like that!”
The host noted that the text ended in multiple exclamation points making it clear Kelce is coming back to play another year with Chiefs.
Talk of retirement really took off following the Chiefs’ failure to secure a three-peat Super Bowl victory against the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LIX.
Following the Super Bowl loss, Chiefs star QB Patrick Mahomes seemed to be unsure if Kelce would be back.
Mahomes said he would “let Travis make that decision on his own. He’s given so much to this team and to the NFL. And he’s been such a joy, not only for me to work with, but for people to watch.”
During the NFL Combines this week, Kansas City Chiefs GM Brett Veach talked about Kelce’s future.
“We anticipate Travis being back,” Veach said. “We’re excited to have Travis back and that’s how we’re operating this offseason.”
“He [Kelce] was battling with a pretty big illness there before the Super Bowl,” he added. “I think Travis is excited to come back. He makes us better when he’s in our locker room and on the field and excited to get him back.”
Kelce goes into the 2025 season at 35-years-old. His stats for his career prove he will definitely be in the football Hall of Fame one day, leading the pack of tight ends with a recorded 1,004 receptions for 12,151 yards with 77 touchdowns over 12 seasons playing in 175 career regular-season games, NBCSports noted.
The Chiefs tight end’s postseason record is just as impressive with 20 touchdowns in 25 games and 178 career receptions for 2,078 yards.
Related: ‘Tough Reality’: Travis Kelce Reflects On NFL Future Following Devastating Super Bowl Loss
“}]]